Have you noticed that self-care can often be confused with self-indulgence in the media? Splurging on pedicures and eating chocolate cake for dinner may not be self-care if you are trying to save up for a down payment on a house or trying to manage diabetes with diet and exercise. Usually, self-care may not be glamorous, but the benefits that you receive from taking care of yourself are immense, including: reduced stress, increased energy, more patience, less physical illness. In times of stress, self-care can be even more important.
To help get on track with your self-care, let us take a look at a self-care checklist that may act as a guide:
- When did you last eat? When did you last eat a vegetable or fruit? Eating a balanced meal can help reset your body and your mood.
- When did you last drink a glass of water? Our bodies need water to function properly.
- Would a 20-minute nap help? Ideally, you are getting at least 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep every night, with a consistent bedtime and wake up time. If this is not happening for whatever reason, a short nap can boost your energy level. If you have time for a longer nap (90 minutes to 3 hours), you might even feel refreshed.
- Do you need to move your body? Even a 5-minute dance party to your favorite song can release endorphins and boost your mood.
- Have you been outside today? Fresh air can be a wonderful mood-lifter.
- When was the last time you talked to a friend? Nothing may be able to boost your mood like talking to a friend.
- Is there a project or chore that you are avoiding? If so, can you do it right now, or can you schedule a time to do it? If you cannot, who can you ask for help with it? You might not be able to get everything done every day, but making progress where you have been procrastinating can give you a sense of accomplishment and the motivation to keep going.
- When was the last time you did something fun or interesting for yourself? This could be as simple as doing a puzzle, reading a fun book, baking, or whatever makes you happy.
Taking care of ourselves can be very important for a multitude of reasons. Self care may be taking that extra time for yourself, but it can also be checking off those items on your to-do list and also enlisting the help of professionals in reaching your goals. For your legal to-do list items, our office is here to help. Contact us today to schedule an appointment.